I am on a journey to live a life I love and to fill my life with the things that truly bring me joy... my dream job, loving relationships, financial abundance, a healthy mind and body, and a deep spiritual connection with all that is. I am living consciously to create a life filled with all the things I love.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday, August 31, 2009

Rekindling My Yoga Practice

I've been thinking and talking about yoga for several months now, but finally made my first yoga class a couple of weeks ago. It was such a great experience and I felt so much better that I went again. Why did I deprive myself of this experience for so long?

Regardless of the reason, I've decided to commit to a regular yoga practice again. It's been 2 years since I've had a regular yoga practice, and that was when I was in the best shape of my life. I was living in San Francisco at the time, where they have amazing yoga studios and instructors. Now, in New York, I know there are amazing instructors and studios here too. I just need to seek them out.

I remember going to a yoga conference a couple of years ago where I was introduced to a lot of famous yoga instructors. I was new to the yoga scene, but I wanted to make sure I signed up for the sessions with the instructors that resonated with me. I ended up going to a bunch of workshops with teachers who have studios in LA, but I remember the names of several yoga instructors that are based in New York. I did a little research, and these are the ones that I am planning on trying out.

Sharon Gannon and David Life's Jivamukti Yoga School
841 Broadway, 2nd Floor
(between 13th St & 14th St)
New York, NY 10003


Dharma Mittra's Yoga Center
297 3rd Ave
(between 22nd St & 23rd St)
New York, NY 10010



Cyndi Lee's Om Yoga Studio
826 Broadway, 6th Floor
(between 12th St & 13th St)
New York, NY 10003



Fortunately these are an easy commute for me, so it will be convenient as well. I like to try out different classes at different studios, or at least with different teachers because I find that my body gets used to the same routine after a while and the classes become too easy. I need to challenge my body with different yoga routines and exercise regimens to work out my muscles. What keeps me going back to classes, though, is that it is also relaxing and I feel so flexible afterwards. My posture is always greatly improved after yoga.

My hope is that I can attend some classes with the owners of these yoga studios themselves. That would be amazing for me. Most of them teach only the upper level classes, so I'll have to practice regularly so that I can advance to some of more advanced classes. I'm still attending the level 1 classes for now.

I'm excited about my new commitment to yoga and my fitness. After reflecting on what I really wanted to accomplish by the end of 2009, I realized that my fitness was at the top of the list, so once and for all I am making it a priority!

Maybe I'll try Bikram yoga this year too. Hot and sweaty yoga. Will I like it? At least it will be a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...