I am on a journey to live a life I love and to fill my life with the things that truly bring me joy... my dream job, loving relationships, financial abundance, a healthy mind and body, and a deep spiritual connection with all that is. I am living consciously to create a life filled with all the things I love.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday, February 18, 2010

I love knitting. Period.

I don't know what it is about knitting, but it soothes my soul. I was having one of those days where I was feeling a little bit... blah. Or maybe more than blah, and needed a pick me up. Back in the day I might have chosen a vice to make me feel better (ice cream was the most frequent choice), but the sweet cravings have long since gone away and was never the thing I really craved to begin with. Back in those days, I'd be left with an empty carton of ice cream, still noticing that I was not feeling better. Since then, I have found more constructive (and productive) ways to lift me up, and to my surprise knitting does the trick.

I don't even have to be knitting. I can just be looking at pictures of potential knitting projects or be at a yarn store picking out yarn. On that particular day I was not feeling my usual happy self, I was walking home and was passing by the library and thought that it might be a great idea for me to see if they had any books for an assignment I needed research for. I stumbled upon the knitting section, my usual detour. 20 minutes of perusing the books and I found the perfect book for me that day. With lots of excitement, I took it to the register and checked it out. I actually don't even need to read the book to make me happy. I think it's just the process of being surrounded by certain subject matter that just really makes me happy. If I am busy and don't have time to actually read the book, I can just look at the cover and feel perfectly content. Happy. Satiated. (Just in case you're curious, the book I borrowed was called The Natural Knitter.)

This is how you know you have stumbled upon a passion. A true passion. You get excited just by reading, learning, or looking at pictures of it. For me, one of my passions is knitting. It just is. I don't know why, but I absolutely love it. I thought it would just be a hobby, but somehow the whole knitting thing brought me all the way to fashion design school. I thought I'd be in love with fashion, but in reality I am just in love with making beautiful things that I can wear. Things that fit beautifully, flatter me, and that have some interesting design to them. That's all. Hmmm, but how does one make a living just by making clothes for themselves?

I guess it would be more glamorous to go the traditional fashion design route, but something tells me that I'm not going that route, and that I'm not that traditional. I'm going to stick to what I know, what I love to do. I'll find the right career choice for me down this path somewhere. For now I am just loving the process of learning new things related to fashion design and hand knitting. It's so much fun now that I have the time thing under control. My schedule is much more balanced now.

I wish I had more time to knit. :) Really. I just want to finish making one sweater or cardigan for myself. This year. It will happen. I'm making a hat right now to match my coat. It's silly how much I love to knit. But, believe me, it is love. I can spend hours in the knitting section at Barnes and Nobles or Borders. I just did a few days ago. I loved it. Oh, and I can spend just as much time at a knitting store. Maybe I should become a sweater designer. I'm slowly trying to clarify what I want for my future. So many things I love to do, so many choices.

If you love knitting too, visit my other blog at www.flowdesignstudio.com. This is where I have my posts about knitting and design. There will be more to come in the future when I have more time to knit and sew. And I WILL have time because I create my future. :)

The next time you're having a blah day, think of me and the joy I found by stumbling upon the knitting section at the library. What brings you joy? Go in that direction and use it to give you a boost of energy whenever you need it. Find more time to dedicate to the activities that really make you happy. Wouldn't it be great to have a life to only do the things that you enjoy doing? Oh, but we can, we can. Decide what that is, set the intention to create your life to fill it with things you love doing, and make time to live in your joy. Peace, love, and happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...