I am on a journey to live a life I love and to fill my life with the things that truly bring me joy... my dream job, loving relationships, financial abundance, a healthy mind and body, and a deep spiritual connection with all that is. I am living consciously to create a life filled with all the things I love.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Embracing Uncertainty in Search of Your Life Purpose

In Eckhart Tolle's book, A New Earth, he says on page 274, "When you become comfortable with uncertainty, infinite possibilities open up in your life."

Listen to the webcast that answers a question from someone that asks about finding a career path that merges her inner purpose with her outer purpose.



Reading this book has created a profound shift in my thinking. At first, it was a little bit too academic for me, but after giving it a second try, I was able to read the book and find some profound wisdom in the book that completely shifted the way I approached certain aspects of my life. It helped me to let go of the perfectionist tendencies I have--the ones that were detrimental to my happiness--and become more comfortable with where I am and being happy with the present moment.

Eckhart Tolle asks, "Can you be at ease with not knowing?"

This is a difficult task for most of us, and it takes practice to get to a point when you can be comfortable with where you are at, not knowing what lies before you. I was in this position for almost all of last year. I didn't know what the future held, and during the process I tried several different career paths to learn that these were not the ones that would fulfill me over the long run, but rather things I would like to incorporate into my life. After each step, I felt as if I was starting all over again, but looking back, I realize now that all of those experiences were necessary for me to learn more about myself. Each one of those experiences brought me closer to finding my true purpose and career path.

I am not completely out of the woods yet. I am still a bit uncertain where this path will lead me. The journey I have begun is nothing I would have imagined a year ago. I am just taking it day by day and learning to be comfortable with not knowing, embracing each moment as it comes. I have a general idea of where I am headed, but know that the experiences that will come into my life will be better than what I could have planned for myself.

"When you become comfortable with uncertainty, infinite possibilities open up in your life. It means fear is no longer a dominant factor in what you do and no longer prevents you from taking action to initiate change." (p. 274, A New Earth)

I really believe this is true. The fear that used to be rampant in my mind has subsided and I am now ready and willing to pursue the things that make me happy. I am using my emotions as my barometer to guide me to do the things that make me feel fulfilled. I encourage you to do so too. Gravitate towards the things that bring you the most joy and separate yourself from the things that do not leave you feeling fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...