I am on a journey to live a life I love and to fill my life with the things that truly bring me joy... my dream job, loving relationships, financial abundance, a healthy mind and body, and a deep spiritual connection with all that is. I am living consciously to create a life filled with all the things I love.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Pursuing My Love for Crafts

Since I've been sharing stories of others who have followed their passion, I'd like to share a little bit about where I am going with my passions. Not only am I embarking on a career change this fall, but I am dedicating time to do the things I love, one of which is crafts! I've wanted to learn to sew, knit, crochet, reupholster, decorate, etc. You name it, I've wanted to do it. Part of my passion also involves trying new things.

Well, I began my journey into the craft world last November. After having put my career first before all, including my happiness, I had let everything else fall off the radar. I decided that it was time to make a conscious effort to spend time doing the things I love. No more putting things on the backburner. I had already burned a decade doing that. Plus, I was getting lots of signs from all over saying the same thing. From speakers, from classes I was taking, to what came out of my own mouth while the anesthesia was still wearing off after a minor surgery I had last fall.

So, last December, I decided to listen to my own desire to follow the crafter in me and let it all out. It seemed funny to me at first. Crafts and corporate culture just didn't seem to mix. Well, at least not the corporate culture I was used to. I'm sure if you worked at Martha Stewart in their crafts department, it would be a whole different story!

I began to knit. I taught myself to knit from a book. And my mom showed me how to crochet. Then it turned out that a co-worker of mine also knit, and she told me about a knitting community online called Ravelry that really opened the world of possiblities for me in the world of knitting. That's where my journey into the crafts began. Then, I started taking some sewing classes at The Needle Shop in Chicago. I had already registered for sewing classes at Vogue Fabrics twice, and failed to make it through the entire session due to my schedule. Or maybe it was because it was inconvenient to get there. Regardless, you see how the barriers pop up when you don't decide to make it a priority? This time I was determined to learn how to sew.

I then took a class at Tchad from January-March of this year. I finally learned how to read and use a sewing pattern! Of course I selected the most complicated and difficult pattern out there, which means that I haven't quite finished the project yet. I will get back to it soon once I'm all set up in my new place here.

I was trying to figure out how I could take this crafting passion of mine and make it a business. Can it be a business? Or will it just stay a hobby? I wanted to make it into a business because it would give me the excuse to spend more time doing it, which is ultimately what I wanted. Well, I've thought about it and really tried to think about how I can transform this hobby into something more viable. I don't have all the answers yet, but I've made some progress. I created a plan to turn this crafting passion of mine into reality on Someday.com.


So, according to the plan, I'm 28% of the way there. I'm just glad I'm no longer at 0%! I've created a new blog to go along with this crafting passion of mine. You can visit it here: Flow Design Studio.


I'm on track to making this a reality. Do you have a plan? Please share it with me and add me as friend on Someday.com. I'd love to see your progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...